Paneer in tomato gravy is one of the go-to, quick and easy way of cooking up a side dish for the day. And this one is extra quick as you are about to find out!
Indeed, there are many hundreds of recipes for paneer, and the beauty is that by tweaking a few ingredients, you can achieve a new taste and look.
This one is made in the microwave, but you can easily make it on the stove top too.
You may like to explore the Paneer Gravy that contains coconuts if you have less paneer and need more gravy. Or the wholesome Palak Paneer made with spinach? And for the super curious, also enjoy this article about how and where paneer originated.
This one is a preparation that I come back to every now and then for its sheer simplicity. It also helps if you have a good quantity of milk and the paneer itself!
The Steps to the Tomato Gravy
The first thing to do is to melt butter in a large glass bowl, in the microwave. Add a couple of cardamoms and heat on high for 20 seconds. 1/2 tsp of chilli powder next.
To this add the roughly sliced onions and 8 quartered tomatoes! Chuck a few cashews in it. Cover with a glass lid/plate and cook for 4 minutes on high. Leave in the microwave for 5 minutes. Stir it once after two minutes.
Cool this mixture a bit and grind till smooth.
Before taking it off the blender, add a teaspoon of kasoori methi, salt, sugar and let it get well-blended.
Scrape this mixture back into the same bowl. Give it a couple of minutes in the microwave on high.
Add some milk, and the cubed paneer. Heat once more on high.
Just before serving, you can add some beaten cream and garam masala.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot! Delicious!
Paneer in Tomato GravyCourse: SidesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Make this quick dish in the microwave with no sweat and in just a couple of minutes.
400 g paneer, cubed
6-8 ripe red tomatoes, quartered
2 small onions, sliced
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp kasoori methi
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
few coriander leaves, chopped
1/4 tsp garam masala (optional)
1 tbsp cream, beaten (optional)
- Melt butter in a large glass bowl, in the microwave. Add a couple of cardamoms and heat on high for 20 seconds.
- Now add 1/2 tsp of chilli powder. Heat for 30 seconds on high.
- Mix in the roughly sliced onions and the quartered tomatoes. Also add the cashews. Cover with a glass lid/plate and cook for 4 minutes on high. Leave in the microwave for 5 minutes. Stir it once after two minutes
- Cool this mixture for 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender and grind till smooth. Also, finally add in the kasoori methi, salt, sugar and let it get well-blended.
- Pour this back into the big glass dish. Microwave open, on high, for 2 minutes.
- Add milk, and the paneer pieces. Let it cook for 3 minutes more, stirring in between. Do not cover.
- Just before serving, decorate with fresh cream and garam masala (optional) and sprinkle some fresh coriander leaves.