Healthy chicken and vegetables is a welcome addition to any meal. It pairs up wonderfully with all kinds of breads and rice dishes as well.Jump to Recipe
All of us are leading busy lives and often skimp on the exercise. In such a case, it is so important to have meals that are not unnecessarily rich. Adding too much oil and frying food may look great, but it’s not really healthy.
So here is my safer bet!
Why choose this healthy chicken with vegetables?
This recipe is ideal when
- It is too hot to enjoy the kitchen
- You want to include vegetables and chicken in one dish
- You want to save on cooking time
- There is a shortage of tomatoes or if they are too expensive
- You want to try something new and tasty!
Occasionally I add vegetables to the chicken to make it healthier. The best part is that the vegetables absorb the flavours of the chicken and become irresistible.
Remember to slice the onions long. And there is no need to add too much oil… just 3 tablespoons will do for this recipe. Incidentally, that’s involving a kilogram of chicken besides carrots, mushrooms, potatoes… and that’s why I call it healthy! Here are some links to see the chicken-making in action.
Remember the magical ginger garlic paste? I always make a fresh batch and stock it in the fridge. If you want to know how I make this preservative free ingredient, just click here. Well it is one of the key players here too.
In this recipe I have added mushrooms and potatoes to add to the thickness of the gravy. Here you will not find them all separate at the end of the cooking process. It will instead just disintegrate and form this delectable mush, infused with chicken flavours. And the added bonus is that it is all cooked in one large pot! Use a large, thick bottomed kadhai or a cast iron dutch oven.
Wash the mushrooms well and quarter them. Potatoes can be cubed. Collect all the spice powders together for making it easy while cooking.
The “tastiness index” is also increased because of the spices. They are absolutely important and you will feel as if you have transported yourself into south indian kitchen. This makes the recipe unique and it will be a treat if you are looking for an Indian recipe for chicken.
Try to keep the heat low so it develops the flavours and cooks evenly. Stir occasionally. This recipe is absolutely healthy and nutritious.
Be assured it is also melt in the mouth yummy!
Healthy Chicken and VegetablesCourse: SidesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
This healthy and tasty version of chicken is a great option when you want to get out of the kitchen fast. You will be out of the kitchen before 30 minutes with this flavoursome dish ready to serve!
1 kg Chicken pieces, washed and drip dried
3 large onions (sliced)
2-4 sprigs of curry leaves (optional)
2 packs (400 g) button mushrooms
2 potatoes (cubed)
2 carrots (cubed)
1 large capsicum (diced)
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp pepper (add more towards the end if you wish)
1 tbsp aniseed
1 tbsp coriander
1 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp chilli
1/2 tbsp meat masala
1/2 tbsp turmeric
1 tbsp salt (or to taste)
1/2 cup sour curds
2 tbsp gingelly oil (sesame oil or any other you use)
- Heat pan and add oil. Keep heat low.
- Fry onions till translucent. Add curry leaves if using.
- Add ginger-garlic paste.
- Add chicken and increase heat to medium. Fry well till sealed and white all over.
- Now add the mushroom. Mix well.
- Add the potatoes. Stir the mixture thoroughly.
- Add the spice powders and the salt. Mix well. Bring the heat back to low.
- Let it cook covered for 10 minutes. Stir once or twice in between.
- Add the carrots. After a few minutes, add the capsicum and the curds.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
- If you want more gravy, you can add buttermilk or hot water to desired consistency.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- You can add more pepper powder and cumin if you wish.
- If you prefer thicker gravy, cook the chicken on high heat for a couple of minutes, stirring it up to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Freeze a portion of this for a day when you don’t have time to cook. Label it and use it even after a month after thawing it.