I’m sharing my favourite flavour-rich pasta sauce today. This Pasta/Pizza Sauce is my go-to solution if I have less time in the mornings, or if unexpected guests pop up.Jump to Recipe
When this sauce is there in the fridge, I just have to fry a few slices of vegetables while I cook up the pasta. Heat the pasta sauce in the microwave, add grated cheese, seasonings, the fried vegetables and the pasta. And it’s ready! I’m done and out of the kitchen!
All I have to then do is to smile as all the compliments flow in!
Steps to the Pasta/Pizza Sauce
Roughly chop up the vegetables.
Blend them to a paste without any water. If you do not like the taste of capsicum, you can reduce it to half or avoid it.
Add tomato puree, sugar and salt. Give it another go in the blender.
Fry in a tablespoon of butter till thick, with occasional stirring. It will take 10-15 minutes. Keep the heat low so that it does not burn.
I store this in a container that is clearly distinguishable from the jar containing my tomato paste, so that they do not get mixed up.
It stays fine in the fridge for up to 4 weeks. Just ensure you keep it in the cold zone and not in the door or the less cold regions of the fridge.
When you want to make the pasta/pizza, take some of the sauce out of the fridge and rejoice that
- half your work is done and you can be out of your kitchen in no time
- there is no additive or preservative or colour in this, and so you at least have the choice of eating healthier pasta and pizza.
Pasta/Pizza SauceCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
Make this simple sauce and store in the fridge. Use as a ready-made sauce for pasta dishes or spread on pizza bases for a flavour-rich experience.
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup (250 ml) of pureed tomatoes
1 carrot, chopped
1 capsicum, chopped
5 garlic cloves (or to taste)
10 pepper corns
2 red dry chillies
1 green chilli
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
- Grind the onion, carrot, capsicum, garlic, pepper corns and chillies till well blended.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and salt. Blend.
- Heat a pan and add the butter. Now cook the blended mixture on low heat for 10-15 minutes, till slightly thick.
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge. It will keep well for 4 weeks.
- This quantity is enough to make pasta/pizza for four people on 2 occasions.
- To use in pasta: simply heat it through. Add grated cheese, fried vegetables and cooked pasta. Season with salt, pepper and your favourite herbs.
- Add a tablespoon of this sauce to white sauce to give it a unique flavour.
- To use in pizzas: just spread on buttered pizza base. Add your favourite toppings, coat with pizza cheese and bake the pizza.