Sweet Corn Pulao is a quick-to-make main course. Rice is the main ingredient in it, and its selection of vegetables includes sweet corn niblets and baby corn.Jump to Recipe
Pulao is a popular and easy main dish. It is ready in minutes and there are literally hundreds of combinations you can try out to suit your taste. Make this if you plan a bright red paneer gravy or green coloured palak paneer as a side dish. As you know, I believe in adding colour in natural ways to our diet everyday.
Add a simple raita, papad and pickle and you have yourself a spread to drool over!
Steps to Making the Sweet Corn Pulao
Wash the rice thoroughly till the water is no longer cloudy. It should be clear. You may need to wash it 3-5 times. Now soak the rice in 2 cups of water till needed.
Slice and chop up the vegetables.
Heat the pan and add the oil/ghee. First fry the sliced onions and let it turn a golden brown. Set aside around a quarter of it so that you can use it for decorating the pulao.
Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes away. Now add the tomato puree and continue frying. After a while, the colour will deepen.
At this point, add the sweet corn, baby corn, beans and the chopped coriander and mint. You can add other vegetables like peas or carrots too. Be adventurous. 😊
Fry for a a few minutes and add the salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin/jeera powder and any spice mixture of your choice. Mix well.
Add water and bring to a boil. Taste to check the seasoning so that you can adjust the salt to your liking. Now add the washed rice. Stir, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
The rice is cooked and almost ready. At this point, add the capsicum. This is because it becomes too mushy if you add it with the other vegetables. Stir well and let it cook for a minute more.
Your sweet corn pulao is ready! Garnish it with the reserved fried onions and some mint leaves. In my case, my daughter ate up the onions, so you can’t see them here!
Serve hot with sides of your choice.
Sweet Corn PulaoCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
A quick to make rice dish. A choice of vegetables makes it a complete meal by itself. Ready in minutes.
1 cup (250 ml) long grained rice, rinsed well and soaked in water
2 big onions, sliced
3/4 cup sweet corn niblets
3/4 cup baby corn, chopped
1/4 cup french beans, chopped
1/2 cup capsicum, chopped
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
2-3 mint leaves, chopped
1/4 cup tomato puree
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
3 tbsp oil/ghee
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin/jeera powder
1/2 tsp turneric powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups boiling water
- Heat pan. Add oil/ghee. Add the onions and fry for 5 minutes on low heat. Set aside some for decoration.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste. Fry for 3 minutes. Add tomato puree. Cook till the colour turns darker, around 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetables (except capsicum) and chopped leaves. Fry them for 2 minutes.
- Add the powdered spices and salt. Mix well.
- Pour in the boiling water. Taste a teaspoonful to adjust the salt.
- Discard the water from the soaked rice. Add the rice to the pan. Stir well, cover and cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Add the capsicum. Mix well. Cover and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with coriander/mint leaves and the reserved fried onions.
- You can vary the vegetables according to your liking.