Making this egg toast sandwich toast is such a satisfying experience for me. Probably because it is such an easy way to surprise and delight people with this breakfast! Or as a picnic meal!
In a mood to give someone special a nice breakfast? Well this easy breakfast surprise will fit very well indeed!Jump to Recipe
It involves getting a few ingredients, a flat pan and 20 minutes together. And ends with the amazing climax of biting into layers of deliciousness, either fresh off the pan or unwrapped and eaten as a easy to make picnic egg toast meal!
Probably it is best to use the large sized sandwich bread slices for making egg in a hole bread. The cutter can be of any shape, just ensure it is slightly smaller than the slice itself.
This will leave a nice little cave into which you can add all the ingredients that will add the pop of flavour when you bite into it. Let’s move right into it!
See the video or move on to the steps.
Ingredients for the Egg Toast Sandwich
The egg forms the base to the fillings in the “hole”. Besides that, chopped onions, coriander and pretty much any kind of grated vegetable can be added. Go ahead and use your creativity. You can add cooked meats of any kind, paneer, and also capsicum and spring onions.
An important ingredient is the cheese… you cannot have enough cheese in this recipe! I do try to reduce the amount when I make it on a regular basis, but as a meal for a picnic or for rocking the socks off someone you want to impress, just go for more than you see in the video.
Packing it for Later
Sometimes you want to eat it fresh off the pan ( yes, this is how to make bread toast without toaster) but when you want to enjoy it later, ensure you wrap it firmly in some paper that is food safe. I use Uniwraps, or a paper foil.
Will post a tutorial on how I wrap sandwiches soon, as it is so convenient to simply unwrap and eat the delicious, fancy and easy egg bread toast without a mess.
Easy Breakfast SurpriseCourse: MainCuisine: WesternDifficulty: Easy
8 Large bread slices
4 tbsp chopped onions
1 tsp chopped coriander
Salt and pepper to taste
4-8 tsp Butter
4 Cheese slices
Salsa or pizza sauce or ketchup
8 tbsp grated cheese
grated vegetables, cooked meats (optional)
- Cut out large circles or any shape from the centre of the bread using a cookie cutter, making sure that the outer edge is intact.
Keep the central pieces safe.
- Heat 1-2 teaspoons of butter on a flat pan. Now press down the outer and inner bread slice portions next to each other.
- Crack open the egg into the centre of the bread, in the hole as shown in the video. Add optional ingredients if using. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Cover with the cut piece. Press very gently. Now cover this with a cheese slice. Smother with a generous amount of the sauce. Add a good helping of grated cheese.
- Butter another slice of bread and place on the grated cheese.
- Flip over and let it get toasted.
- Eat immediately or wrap in paper foil till needed.
- If you want to take it for a picnic, ensure that you wrap it individually so it is easy to serve.
- Adding enough cheese ensures that the bread slices stick to each other. however, if you wish to reduce the amount of cheese, packing it firmly in paper foil will help to keep the slices together to eat it easily.